Saturday, January 19, 2013

Guided Reading Update: Good Readers statements

Our teachers have been working diligently to work with our students in guided reading. Once they got started, they asked some questions! These included "My kid does weird stuff when he reads. What do I do about that?" 
Yeah, that's a common problem.
To help the teachers with this, I put together a couple of documents. They include comprehension and decoding issues that are commonly seen with students. 


I also provided some brief training that included the first two components of Guided Reading: Word Work and the Strategy Focus (Good Readers Statements). Once I figure out how to share that Keynote presentation with you, I will!
But here's a little pointer about creating a Good Readers statement to use as a strategy focus during guided reading:
    • For example: Good readers make inferences.
    • This statement doesn’t tell the student what to do or how to do it.
    • Good readers read closely for evidence about characters and think about what it means.
    • This statement includes a specific directions for the student to complete.
To share this with you, I added the documents to my Materials for Guided Reading Pack. If you've previously downloaded it from TPT, please check it out and download it again! 

and for the complete set, including these tools and more, check out my new Rolling Out Guided Reading Pack at TPT! Fifty pages of planning and instructional tools, organizational tips and binder resources for Guided Reading!



Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Wow...these are really great! Thanks for sharing them.

    Nichole
    Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissy were you ever able to put the Good Reader Statements into a document that we could download? Great organization, I can see this being VERY helpful for our Paras. Barb
    sandbzawad@hotmail.com or bzawadski@flaschools.org Thanksa bunch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! Thanks so much for sharing it! I am getting ready to do a tranining on using the reading comprehension strategies and these Good Reader tips are going to be so helpful!

    Twins, Teaching and Tacos.

    ReplyDelete