Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thanksgiving Antics

Today was our Thanksgiving luncheon. Sounds fancy, huh? If you don't work in a school, and you hear the phrase "Thanksgiving luncheon," you may picture something very Norma Rockwell-y, like this:


But if you work in a school and you hear the words "Thanksgiving luncheon," you may picture something along the lines of this:


You know that the words Thanksgiving luncheon = plops of potatoes and squishy cranberry sauce. Kids poking at piles of stuffing saying, "I don't like it. Ew." and eating only the whipped cream off of their tiny square of pumpkin pie. Drinking one slurp of their milk, taking the tiniest, most miniscule nibble of turkey and then making barfing noises. Kids.

As support staff this year, it was my job to yell at kids in the cafeteria help make sure things ran smoothly. 

I spent two hours standing next to the lunch line, shoving forks into the potato plops on the kids' tray and alternating between, 
"Happy Thanksgiving," 
"Have a nice lunch," and 
"USE TWO HANDS TO HOLD YOUR TRAY!"

I cleaned up two green bean spills caused by the weight of the milk on one side overbalancing the weight of the invisibly small scoop of cranberry sauce on the other.

I asked four kids not to kick each other on the table. (Not bad. Those were only the ones I caught while shoving forks, though.)

I complimented at least fifty headdresses, turkey hats, and various headbands with items shoved/glued on.

I required eight children to eat all of at least one thing on their plates. All the potatoes, all the stuffing, all the roll for all I care, but ALL OF ONE THING! NO FULL TRAYS IN THE TRASH CAN!

Yup. That's what my college degree did for me today.
But at the end of the day, I went to check my box, and this was in it. Our office staff loves pinterest.


So I'm happy.

Don't worry. I haven't forgotten. Still gathering special things for you from some of your favorite bloggers and other stuff, too. It's happening next week! 


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Hi Chrissy:

    "Potato plops"?!
    That's hilarious!

    Happy almost T-Day...

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. Lunch duty would rank right up there with bus monitor for me...

    Think of how much more you will appreciate your real Thanksgiving dinner...no matter what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That funny! ALthough at my school if you saw PTA Thanksgiving luncheon you better watch out. I am pretty sure you need a degree in baking/cooking to be a mom at my school. Our luncheon's are insane! Martha Stewart style. But the kiddos aren't invited to those. :o) Hope your turkey day is great!
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chrissy!
    gotta love lunch duty! haha :)

    I gave you and your store a shout out on my blog today!! Here's the link if you want to check it out: http://teachinglifeandeverythinginbetween.blogspot.com/2012/11/teaching-point-of-view-and-freebie.html

    --jen

    ps: I'd love to donate to your blogiversary! Let me know!

    ReplyDelete